Richard Kuykendall takes a Maiden Voyage
Record shop manager ponders the island life
You'd expect an eclectic mix of desert-island discs from someone who manages an independent record shop. Richard Kuykendall, manager at Decatur's Wuxtry Records, is no exception. Here are five albums he'd take with him to that lonely and impractical island.
1) R.E.M., Murmur: "I've been listening to this one since I was in high school and it's never gotten old ... probably the best thing to ever come out of Athens."
2) Charlie Parker, Charlie Parker With Strings: "His alto saxophone playing was never more beautiful than on this ... It's just timeless stuff really."
3) Gang Of Four, Entertainment: "It doesn't sound dated ... People are discovering this record all the time."
4) Otis Redding, Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul: "Everything just clicks on that record. The band is tight ... It's kind of what Southern soul is all about."
5) Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage: "It's just one of those jazz albums that never gets old. The playing on it is spectacular."