Homo, hetero ... or metro?
The word "metrosexual," and those it describes, became the backdrop for the success of the television show, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," and the controversial but highly successful ad campaigns for the traditionally very hetero, all-American clothing company Abercrombie & Fitch. But even though it's been a hot topic over the past year, most people cannot accurately define the term.
According to The Word Spy (www.wordspy.com), a metrosexual is "an urban male with a strong aesthetic sense, who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle." But how do men know if they indeed are one?
Here is a little quiz I've compiled to help all those questioning their metrosexuality (if you answer yes to the majority of these questions, you are free to proclaim yourself a proud metrosexual):
1. Do you get manicures and pedicures regularly?
2. Do you use multiple skin care products, including a daily SPF?
3. Do you carry a murse (a man-purse)?
4. Do you shave and/or wax anything other than your face?
5. Are Sunday nights at 9 p.m. reserved for Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte?
6. Do you wear jeans with names like Seven, and Paper Denim & Cloth?
7. Are you sometimes jealous that other men might look better in those pants than you?
8. Do you use products such as gel, pomade or wax in your hair daily?
9. Do women often gush, "You're so in touch with your feminine side"?
10. Do you dislike drinking beer out of the bottle (and even worse, a can)?
11. Do you ever change your outfit more than twice before walking out the door?
If you have a tip or have noticed a trend you think our resident fashionista should know about, e-mail your comments to email@example.com.