The Blotter January 29 2003

A man with a Southern accent tried to get into a nightclub on Peachtree Street, but he didn't have any ID. A police officer said he'd have to come back with ID if he wanted to get into the club. The man said the officer didn't need to harass or persecute him. The man called the officer, club security and patrons "assholes." After a struggle, the officer handcuffed the man and arrested him. The man kept calling everyone "assholes" and "evil satanic Roman Luciferian assholes." The man then began to yell and pray to the wall he was sitting next to, asking God to strike them down and avenge Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

In Buckhead, an officer saw a green pickup truck turn left from East Paces Ferry Road onto Peachtree Street, despite three "No left turn" signs. The officer activated his blue lights, but the driver of the pickup refused to stop until he pulled into the driveway of his home on Sheridan Drive. The officer spoke with the driver, a 31-year-old man who smelled of alcohol. A mostly empty beer bottle was in the car. The driver failed a sobriety test and was arrested for DUI. According to the officer, the driver "constantly begged me to release him cause he just got his license back today and he was just with a girl 'trying to get some fucking pussy!'" The driver also said, "Please don't give me another DUI."

A 22-year-old woman invited her friend, a muscular 28-year-old man, over to her apartment on Delowe Street. He watched a football game in the living room with his friends. The woman was in her bedroom getting ready to go out. Suddenly, the man threw a couch across the living room. Then, he tossed a smaller couch into a wall, causing a hole in the wall. He left. An officer arrived and saw a small brown bag, which the woman said belonged to the 28-year-old. The bag contained suspected marijuana.

At Hartsfield Airport, an officer was sent to a security office. The security manager said a 33-year-old man from Newnan had applied for an airport identification badge, but a records check showed a warrant for the 33-year-old in Fulton County. The officer ran a computer check with the police department, which confirmed the warrant. The officer took the 33-year-old to jail and put him in a holding cell. Then, police computers revealed that the warrant was invalid. The 33-year-old was released. The 33-year-old said this was the third time he had been arrested for this warrant.

A 52-year-old woman was leaving the corner store on Glen Street when an unknown man approached her, spun her around and grabbed her shirt. The man wore a mask and a red, white and blue coat. The woman struggled with the man, trying to prevent him from putting his hands in her shirt. Then, the woman said she looked into the man's eyes and saw that they were scary eyes and she stopped fighting. The man reached into her shirt and withdrew $35 from her bra. He ran before police arrived.

A 28-year-old man called Atlanta police and said he was assaulted by several undercover Georgia State troopers and Fulton County Sheriff's deputies at a sports-themed restaurant on Peachtree Road. The Atlanta officer went to the restaurant to speak with the man. The man said he had reserved a table inside the sports restaurant and was waiting to go inside. At that time, the police weren't allowing guests to enter the restaurant without proof of a reservation.

The man called a member of his party who was already inside the restaurant so they could talk to the manager. The man said an argument broke out and one officer grabbed his fur coat with both hands and shoved him against a wall. The man reacted by pushing the officer. The man said several undercover officers threw him to the ground and started kicking him. The man wasn't arrested and was allowed inside the restaurant to speak with the manager. It was confirmed that the man had a reservation and had the right to be inside the restaurant. The man said he demanded a report and all the names of the officers involved, and both his requests were denied. The man, an entertainer from California, had bruises on one arm and complained of being kicked in the testicles. He said he would drive himself to the hospital later.

On Glenwood Avenue, a 54-year-old woman said her niece, age 23, burned up her baby clothes in the fireplace. Then, the niece walked into the 54-year-old's room and slapped her face. The niece fled before police arrived.

On Betsy Avenue, a 64-year-old woman said she argued with a female friend, age 47. During the argument, the friend threatened to burn the 64-year-old with the boiling soup that she was preparing on the stove. The friend was charged with disorderly conduct and taken to jail.

An 86-year-old man on Detroit Street said an unknown brown-eyed woman came to his door and said she was with Social Security. He let her inside. She asked to see his Social Security card and told him that she needed to conduct a medical exam. She told the man to lay down on his bed, on his stomach. The woman then grabbed his wallet off the dresser and ran. She got into a white car driven by a man. But the woman left a set of keys on the man's bed. On the key-ring is a CVS Pharmacy "Extra Care" card, which has a bar code on the back. The keys were turned in as evidence.

All items in The Blotter are taken from actual Atlanta police reports and are public record.??

The Blotter
COVID Updates
Latest News
Current Issue