1. >> blotter
  2. >> The Blotter April 15 2004

The Blotter April 15 2004

At the corner of Newport Road and Simpson Street, police saw a 37-year-old man “willingly littering” the corner with Georgia Lottery tickets. He was arrested for littering.

A 40-year-old woman
said a male acquaintance stopped by her house on Hendrix Avenue and accused her of seeing someone else. She denied seeing anyone else, and he got angry. He took some gasoline from outside the house and poured gas all over the floor. Also, he also knocked over several items. But the man never made threats or went after the woman. When he was done, he poured air freshener over the floor to cover the gas smell. Then he left, taking a PlayStation 2 with him. The man is nomadic, staying from place to place, the woman said.

An employee of a pay parking lot on Baker Street was approached by a homeless man (who was posing as a parking attendant). The homeless man said it would cost $5,000 for the employee to park his car in the private parking lot. I have $3, said the employee. That will be enough to park, said the homeless man. The homeless man was arrested for disorderly conduct and taken to jail.

An officer saw a 35-year-old man walk behind the fence of a store on Boulevard. The man took out his penis and urinated on the fence. As the man walked away, the officer confronted him. “What were you doing behind the store?” the officer asked. “I was peeing,” the man replied. “I thanked him for his honesty and placed him under arrest,” the officer wrote. He was charged with public urination.

A 23-year-old woman had planned to move to the same apartment complex that her ex-boyfriend lives in, on Sylvan Circle. The woman said she is unable to save money, so one day, she gave her ex-boyfriend $275 to keep for her, to prevent her from spending it. Five days later, she asked for her money back. He gave her $48 and left.

A 30-year-old man called 911 to turn himself in and get help. He said he had mental problems, and he was a wanted man. A computer check confirmed a Fulton County warrant for his arrest. The man also said he wanted to kill himself.

An officer with the Atlanta Police Department picked up the man and took him to Grady Memorial Hospital. The officer wrote: “I told the intake officers that [the man] wanted to kill himself but he had a warrant. Grady detention would not take [the man] due to the fact that I had no charges and that it was a Fulton warrant. They stated, ‘Take him to Fulton Co. Jail.’”

So the officer took the man to Fulton County Jail, where medical staff talked to the man. The officer wrote: “I was then told that they would not take him. One officer even stated, ‘I guess you are going to have to let him go.’ I stated to them, it’s a Fulton County warrant and it’s confirmed.” Fulton County Jail still refused to accept the man.

The officer relocated to the front of the jail. “I had radio call Fulton County intake and find out what was going on.” The officer tried to get a Fulton County police unit to come pick up the man. “This went on from 11:22 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. I was told to go back to the jail and get some paperwork. I then was told to transport [the man] back to Grady. Grady intake said that they could not take him again.”

Finally, the man was turned in to Grady Hospital detention “after they were told to take it up with Fulton Co.”

A man received annoying phone calls on his cell phone. The caller claims to be a doctor from Grady Hospital, or just breathes into the phone. The calls started in January.

On Simpson Street, a 41-year-old woman wearing white briefs took a sip of an alcoholic beverage. Then she removed her top, exposing her breasts. Then she lay down on the sidewalk.

She was charged with disorderly conduct under the influence and public indecency.

A 49-year-old woman moved to an apartment on Campbellton Road two months ago. Just recently, she noticed some minor damage: scratches on the bottom of her china cabinet, minor scratches on her dining table, a stained microwave, very minor rips/tears in a coat, and a dented bedroom doorknob. The police officer noted, “The damage was consistent with damage that occurs during a move. “But the woman said someone entered her apartment while she was gone and intentionally damaged her stuff. No one else has a key and there were no signs of forced entry. The woman mentioned that the same exact thing occurred at her last apartment.

A 26-year-old woman went to a convenience store on Memorial Drive. Her ex-boyfriend (whom she lived with for five years) followed her to the store. Once inside, the ex-boyfriend asked for her cell phone. No, she said. The ex-boyfriend grabbed her arm and bit it, leaving teeth marks. He grabbed the phone as it dropped out of her hand and then fled.

The woman had their toddler son with her.

At a nightclub on Piedmont Avenue, a fracas broke out between an employee and a performer. The employee had cut the performer’s act because the performer wasn’t in costume and time ran out. The employee (a 29-year-old man) then went to the rear of the club to bring the DJ a drink. The performer (a 20-year-old man) confronted him. (The performer is very thug-looking and threatening, the employee said). The performer yelled and struck the employee’s head with a glass, and they both fell over. Then a mirror fell on them, cutting them both.

All items in The Blotter are taken from actual Atlanta police reports and are public record.

The Blotter
COVID Updates
Latest News
Current Issue