1. >> blotter
  2. >> The Blotter May 13 2004

The Blotter May 13 2004

A 40-year-old Norcross man called police and said a man is watching every move he makes. The Norcross man received harassing phone calls from the man. For example, the Norcross man said, he is currently working a job at a college on James P. Brawley Drive, and one day, he walked outside for a moment. Then his phone rang. The caller asked him what he was doing outside and said he needs to be inside working. Then, the Norcross man said, he was walking when another call came in. The caller asked him what he was doing walking around. The caller told the Norcross man that he has been stalking him for two years. The Norcross man said he is concerned about his safety because this person is following him and he doesn’t even know what he looks like.

On Memorial Drive,
a man walked up to a police officer and said he wanted to go to jail. Then the man took off all his clothes and stood in the center of a parking lot. “It being a strip mall parking lot, there were lots of people around,” the officer wrote. The officer tried to arrest the man, who struggled. The officer took him to the ground and handcuffed him. The man, who is in his 40s, went to jail.

A man was going door-to-door asking for money on Florida Avenue. According to a homeowner, the man said his sister had just died, showed a photograph of a woman, and said he was collecting money for her funeral.

The man pulled the same scheme about a year ago, on the same homeowner (who then lived in a different house down the street). So the homeowner called police.

Police found the man, who was carrying a photograph of a woman. The photo was inscribed, “To Johnny, my brother, who I love.” The man said the woman in the photo wasn’t dead and she wasn’t his sister. She’s a friend and he “just needed money.” The man, who is in his 40s, went to jail.

An officer was sent to a convenience store on Lakewood Avenue to deal with a person who had been carjacked. Upon arrival, the officer spoke with a man in his 40s, who said a couple with a gun took his car. During the interview, the man said he had a drug problem and threatened to kill himself. The officer decided to take the man to Grady Memorial Hospital. The officer got the man into the patrol car, but when they arrived at Grady, he refused to get out of the car. I don’t want to go to Grady, I want to go to jail, the man said. Then he beat on the glass screen of the patrol car. The man was taken to Grady’s psychiatric ward.

At 9 a.m., the security alarm went off at a bar on Memorial Drive. Police arrived and figured out that someone broke into the bar by going through the kitchen roof. An employee arrived and said nothing was missing, but there was an open can of beer with a towel around it inside the bar.

A 51-year-old man who lives in Stone Mountain said he went to sleep in the back yard of an apartment on Hosea Williams Drive. He tossed his coat (which contained his birth certificate, two cell phones and $136 cash) next to him and went to sleep. When he woke up at 6 a.m., his coat was gone. He accused the woman who lives in the apartment of taking his jacket and belongings. (She is also his ex-girlfriend.) She allowed him inside to look for his stuff, but he didn’t find anything. A police officer wrote, “[The man] and [the woman] have been in a relationship but have gone their separate ways for now.”

On Hutchinson Street, an officer saw a woman with sores all over her face walking from a wooded area. She was carrying a clear plastic tote bag filled with clothes and a large piece of electronic equipment. The officer had dealt with the woman before; he knew she was battling a drug addiction. The officer asked where the woman was coming from. The woman said she was just waking up. She said she had slept in the woods behind a house last night with her boyfriend (a 39-year-old man wearing a black leather trench coat). “I know him also to have a drug addiction,” the officer wrote. The officer asked what was in the bag. The woman said there were clothes and a fax machine that some lady had given her a couple of nights ago off Whitefoord Avenue. Neither the woman nor her boyfriend knew the lady’s name. They said she was just a lady walking the streets from time to time, trying to sell things. The officer turned in the fax machine as evidence, but no charges were filed.

At Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, a passenger was stopped at the screening area. According to the report, the passenger, a 42-year-old Colorado man, had a “multi-tool inside a thermal coffee cup that was inside a backpack.” The man said he didn’t know the tool was in there, and a friend who dropped him off at the airport gave the coffee cup to him. (The friend is a Smyrna man.) The multi-tool was turned in as evidence, paperwork was filed, and the Colorado man was allowed to continue to his destination.

All items in the Blotter are taken from actual Atlanta police reports and are public record.

The Blotter
COVID Updates
Latest News
Current Issue