The Blotter November 18 2009

PEE-DITTY, PART I: An officer was patrolling the area of Courtland Avenue and Ralph McGill Boulevard, when he reported a man “behind the statues on the Northwest corner, urinating on the base of the statue.” The officer asked the man what he was doing. “He stated he was getting his food together. I then asked him what else he was doing and he admitted that he had to urinate and could not hold it in.” (The Blotter Diva googled “statue” and the relevant street names — the man allegedly peed in “Folk Art Park” near the interstate overpass. The public art installation contains works by Southern folk artists R.A Miller and Lonnie Holley, among many others.) The 51-year-old man went to jail on an indecent exposure charge.

PEE-DITTY, PART II: Around 9:45 a.m., a man allegedly started peeing into a cup, while standing on a sidewalk on Marietta Street. An officer told the man to stop — and the man asked if he could finish. The officer wrote, “[The man] advised that he didn’t feel like using the Porter [sic] Potty.” The 54-year-old man went to jail on an indecent exposure charge.  

STRANGE PERFORMANCE: An officer responded to a call about someone falling at a Wal-Mart on Howell Mill Road. A 39-year-old man said he slipped on rice on the floor and injured his left arm in the fall. He asked to go to Grady Memorial Hospital. The officer ran a computer check on the man and discovered he was wanted in Douglas County for a probation violation. “Walmart loss prevention then informed me that [the man] had not fallen but had staged the episode and that they had the incident on surveillance video,” the officer wrote. “I viewed the video, which showed [the man] kneeling and then laying onto the floor, faking his fall.” The man was charged with making a false police report and went to jail.

HOW TO INSPIRE PEOPLE TO CHANGE? A man said he was assaulted at a drug rehabilitation center on Bell Street. The 49-year-old man said he was trying to enroll in the drug program. He said while he was waiting in a hallway, several men walked up and explained that the program was going to be hard.“[The man] said he was told that the staff was going to yell at him just like in the military,” an officer wrote. [The man] said that the men were telling him to stay focused and just take whatever they were going to do to him.”
     The man said after sitting in the hallway for a few hours, another man ordered him to go to a room on the second floor and do 25 push-ups and 25 sit-ups, but he could not finish the push-ups. He said the man yelled at him and ordered him to leave. “[He] said he gave the male the middle finger and walked down the steps, trying to leave the building, but was stopped by several males who started yelling and beating on him, refusing to let him leave,” the officer wrote. The man said two more men came from upstairs and ordered the men to stop beating him — and he heard one man say that he could see the beating on a video camera upstairs.
     The man said he walked to Grady Memorial Hospital. He said he could identify some men at the drug rehab program. He said he knows there is a video showing the attack. The officer wrote, “[The man] had a visible bruise on his right side of his head and a red bloody scar on his chest.”

PARENT OF THE MONTH: A 25-year-old woman allegedly drove without wearing her seatbelt. An officer stopped her car on James P. Brawley Drive. The woman “had an infant sitting between her and another lady in the front seat,” the officer wrote. “The six-month-old was not restrained. The baby seat was in the back seat.” Also, the car is uninsured, the officer noted. The 25-year-old mother was cited and her car was towed.

HEALTH CARE PUSH: A paraplegic is accused of trespassing at Grady Memorial Hospital. A security guard said the 23-year-old man has numerous health issues and his condition requires daily treatment. Apparently, Grady has placed the paraplegic man at several facilities throughout the state of Georgia. “For unknown reasons [the man] has left these facilities on his own,” an officer wrote.
     The paraplegic man reportedly returned to Grady, seeking treatment. “He was treated and discharged this morning,” the officer wrote. “After being discharged, [he] refused to leave the hospital. The security guard gave him a trespassing warning and escorted him off the property. “After a few minutes, [the man] returned, stating he needed more treatment. He was again warned and asked to leave the property. [He] refused and was taken into custody.” So the police officer charged him with trespassing.
      Apparently, the paraplegic man got one last chance to avoid arrest. “While doing paperwork, a social worker familiar with [the paraplegic man’s] situation came to the security office,” the officer wrote. “He informed [the man] that he would again place him at a facility if he was willing to cooperate. [The paraplegic man] stated he was not willing and asked the police officer to continue with his paperwork.”

Items in the Blotter are taken from actual Atlanta police reports. The Blotter Diva compiles them and puts them into her own words.

The Blotter
COVID Updates
Latest News
Current Issue