Gwinnett news November 18 2000

According to reports

Wayne Hill re-elected to commission; other results
Despite the efforts of the "Boot Hill" campaign, 57 percent of Gwinnett residents voted Nov. 7 to keep Gwinnett County Commission Chairman Wayne Hill in office for his third term.
Hill defeated Democratic challenger John Kenney, who raised just $15,000 to the incumbent's $420,000. During his campaign, Hill touted his accomplishments, such as buying $35 million in green space. Kenney, who wanted to identify with the anti-growth attitude among the county's homeowners, said Hill allowed unprecedented sprawl in Gwinnett during his tenure.
Hill is the first chairman to be elected for a third term since the commission expanded from three to five members in 1968.
In the 78th District, covering southwest Gwinnett, Rep. Mary Squires (D-Norcross) prevailed over Republican Allan Hayes in one of the most closely watched state House races. With 58 percent of the vote, Squires retains the sole Democratic seat in Gwinnett's 17-member delegation.
Fifty-five percent of voters approve of the Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax, which will generate between $450 million and $750 million over four years. This revenue will be used for parks, road projects, public safety facilities and libraries.
Three injured in drive-by shooting
Police are trying to determine whether two separate drive-by shootings that happened Nov. 10 around midnight are the latest incidents of gang violence in Gwinnett County.
A 10-year-old boy was shot in the hand at his Lilburn home, police said. A day earlier, a 14-year-old boy was shot in the back and his mother in the leg, when more than 50 rounds of gunfire showered their Norcross trailer home.
Detectives don't believe these shootings are related to the Oct. 30 homicide of a teen girl and the wounding of a second girl that are being blamed on the Vatos Locos gang, police said.
Because both of the most recent shootings happened around midnight, neighbors and victims said they didn't see the shooters' cars, said police spokesman George Gilson.
Tien Nugyn, 51, was released from Gwinnett Medical Center after being treated for the wound in her leg. The woman's 14-year-old son was listed in good condition Friday.
Three still wanted in gang killing
Police continue to look for one man and two women in the gang-related shooting at a Norcross soccer park in October.
Suspect Fernando "Giler" Dimayuga, 20, was at the park when Mechelle Marie Torres, 18, was killed and Robin Rainey, 17, was injured. Rainey, who survived a gunshot to the throat in the attack, said Dimayuga was the final man at the crime scene that night.
Gwinnett County police detective Larry Bright said they have received information that Dimayuga fled to Mexico, but they also received tips that he's still in the metro Atlanta area. Police consider him armed and dangerous.
Two females also are being sought. Bright said these two beat Torres before she was killed. One female suspect is tall and known only as "Star," and the other is Vanessa, mother of a 6-month-old child, who lived at the gang's rented duplex in Lawrenceville.
Hasia Sauceda of Duluth and Christina Olarte of Gainesville, both 16, face murder and aggravated assault charges in the shootings. Gang member Raul "Cruz" Garcia and gang leaders "Biggie" Nolasco and Celerino "Happy" Palma face the same charges for ordering the killings and egging the girls on.
Anyone with information on the three at-large suspects should call detectives at 770-513-5300.
Compiled by Lea Keel. Source information from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Blotter
COVID Updates
Latest News
Current Issue