First Slice 10-12-12: Michael Vick is a dog owner, again
VP debate roundups and more
1. Former Falcon’s quarterback Michael Vick — who spent 18 months in federal prison on dog fighting charges and now plays for the Eagles — confirmed yesterday that he is a dog owner again. Just days after ducking reporter’s questions about the matter, Vick released a statement, adding:
“I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family’s decision to care for a pet,” Vick said. “As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals.”
2. Frances Rogers, a member of the Georgia Lottery Board since 2010, quit last week after feeling pressured to hire Gov. Nathan Deal’s budget director to head the lottery program.
3. An asteroid the size of a house is set to pass right by Earth today. At about a quarter of the distance to the moon, some are calling it a “close shave.” Don't worry though. Folks way smarter than myself about this kind of thing have said there's no chance of it actually hitting us.
4. Finally, here’s a little round-up of VP debate coverage:
- Let’s start with some of the fact-checkers, shall we? ??
- The New York Times has a nice little interactive thing going on, complete with the full debate video and transcriptions marked by time and topic. Oh, and a bunch of pretty pictures.??
- There’s a word cloud of what the candidates talked about most during the debate over at the Washington Post (spoiler alert: Taxes top both the lists). They’ve also got the most retweeted tweets from the evening, and a poll that crowns Biden debating champ.??
- “Debate Analysis: Biden more aggressive than his boss” over at USA Today.??
- The Associated Press put out a nice chunk of copy you can find at the AJC, among other places. Best comment on the AJC/AP article thus far? “Joe Biden reminds me of every bad used car salesman I ever met.......” Come on, y’all. Is that the best you got???
- Politico has one of those numbered posts the internet loves: 7 takeaways from Danville. ??
- And no post-debate tour would be complete without swinging by Fox News. According to their poll, Ryan is on the fast track to the white house. 90 percent say he killed it last night, compared to the 65 percent that said Biden won on the Washington Post’s tally.??
Then of course, there’s the media’s liberal bias. The lead into the story is so poetic, we’ll just leave it here:??
America learned Thursday night in Danville, Kentucky that the F-word in Joe Biden’s famous “big f***ing deal” was actually “filibustering”and moderator Martha Raddatz of ABC News let him get away with it time after time.
Surely there are some more worth mentioning. Feel free to leave your suggested readings in the comments.