First Slice 10-31-12: Clayton County write-in candidate could win sheriff's race
Garland Watkins might just beat out a former sheriff with over 30 pending felony charges
- CL File
- Garland, you'll almost certainly fair better than ol' Vic.
1. Garland Watkins, chief deputy at the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office, is trying to win the sheriff's race as a write-in candidate. Until recently, Victor Hill — who faces 30-plus felony charges from his previous three-year stint as the county's sheriff — was running unopposed.
2. Disney acquired LucasFilm yesterday for just over $4 billion, and will likely earn a decent portion of that back from some new Star Wars films, which will reportedly be released "every two to three years."
3. Close to 200 people protested on Monday against Jeff Fuqua's proposed development along Glenwood Avenue. The Atlanta developer has faced plenty of opposition over the last few months for both his Glenwood Park and Buckhead developments.
4. According to Public Works Commissioner Richard Mendoza, Atlanta has “a pretty bare-bones budget for a city of our size.”
5. Ludacris celebrated Halloween this weekend by dressing up as Anthony Davis. While the CL staff will generally steer clear of unibrows this year, we do encourage you to check out one of these events.