First Slice 4-11-13: Atlanta demonstrators push for immigration reform
Plus, sharks, hostage situations, a Beltline cat, and more
1. Some Dunwoody High School baseball players caught a really big fish. (Sorry, I can't figure out how to stop the auto play)
2. More than 1,000 protestors took to the streets downtown yesterday to push for a national overhaul of the immigration system.
3. Earlier this week, some students at Georgia Tech and a handful of other colleges around the metro area started wearing empty gun holsters to advocate for a "campus carry" law. State lawmakers drafted a bill this year that would have allowed students to carry firearms on campus, but it never made it out of the General Assembly.
4. Last night, police shot and killed the alleged gunman who took five firefighters hostage after apparently luring them to his home in Gwinnett. The standoff lasted more than four hours, but aside from a few "superficial injuries." all the hostages made it out fine.
5. In case you missed it, Conan's sidekick Andy Richter took a zombie tour of Atlanta while he was in town.
6. Next time you're strolling along the Beltline's East Side Trail, drop Piper a line. The black cat is being called the "unofficial mascot" of the trail and even has its own address and mailbox outside the drain pipe it calls home.