First Slice 9/20/12: Chick-fil-A okay with gay
Chipper gets a fishing pole, students get hog-tied, and we're all fat
- Atlanta Braves
- This guy ^ is gon' fishing
1. A death row inmate who claimed he did not receive a fair trial because a juror sent raunchy shaped chocolates to the judge and bailiff during the proceedings has lost his appeal in federal court. The judge was reportedly handed penis-shaped goodies, while the bailiff got women’s breasts near the end of the sentencing phase of Marcus Wellon’s trial. The courts have taken the matter seriously, admitting the gifts were inappropriate and even prompting the U.S. Supreme court to take a brief look in 2010.
2. Two students at the Savannah College of Art and Design were bound and robbed in their dorm early Wednesday morning. Both came out of the ordeal unharmed, eventually being able to free themselves and call police after the two robbers made off with electronics and other valuables.
One of the robbers apparently knocked on the dorm room door in SCAD’s Spring House around 6 a.m. yesterday morning, forcing his way in when one of the students opened the door a crack. Police still aren’t sure how the duo circumvented security.
3. Chick-fil-A executives have agreed to stop donating money to anti-gay groups and avoid talking about controversial issues in the public eye after all that heat they caught last summer.
4. Paying homage to his career, the Marlins gave retiring Braves player Chipper Jones a fishing rod — among other gifts — last night before his final game in south Florida. Not bad considering the flak the team got after snubbing Bobby Cox before his retirement in 2010.
5. More than half of Georgians could be obese by 2030 if current trends continue, according to a new report. And with that, let's all take a few seconds think about doing jumping jacks.
More By This WriterSearch for more by Clay Duda