Louder than Words - February 7, 2019
- 02/07/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 02/14/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 02/21/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 02/28/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 03/07/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 03/14/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 03/21/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 03/28/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 04/04/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 04/11/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 04/18/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 04/25/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 05/02/2019 10:00 am to 11:00 am
This exhibition features artists who, in a variety of ways, privilege silence, non-linguistic sounds, symbols, and gestures over words as tools of communication. Within the often-performative space of their work, they may surrender their own power in order to shine a light on the condition of powerlessness. They may use their bodies to convey complex emotions or simulate sensations that focus your experience. Some, who work within the imposed condition of deafness, reveal the gaps inherent in communication—what is missing, misunderstood, intentionally ignored, or entirely invented. An emphasis on action over words reveals an opportunity for silent protest, suggesting the possibility of fearlessness in the nonverbal. In other work, sounds and words are muted, restricted, and undermined. The loss of this information is then made palpable, drawing attention to questions of intention and what this choice may mean socially or politically.
Artists included are Terry Adkins, Christopher Adler, Dara Birnbaum, John Cage, James Castle, Nick Cave, Joseph Grigley, Dana Haugaard, Sarah Hobbs, Vanessa Yvonne Jagodinsky, Katelyn Rose King, Christine Sun Kim, Alison O’Daniel, Yoko Ono, Alix Pearlstein, Trevor Reese, and Geo Sipp.