PHOTO CREDIT: Eric Cash
The 58-acre cemetery located just off Decatur's town square is the oldest known publicly owned burial ground in metro Atlanta. With more than 20,000 grave sites, it's even thought to pre-date Decatur's 1823 incorporation. The gazebo, built in 1881, has recently been restored. The Decatur Preservation Alliance’s Friends of the Decatur Cemetery Committee leads Second Sunday Strolls, guided tours of the landmark whose older section is included in the National Register of Historic Places.