Ed Loves Bacon - Gordon Ramsay says I Am Chef (And so can you)
Maybe celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsay visited one too many bad restaurants or it could be the sheer number of lackluster cooks that qualify as competitors on his Hell's Kitchen reality show. Whatever the reason, Ramsay has decided he wants to teach America how to cook live on network television.
In his latest television special, Gordon Ramsay: Cookalong Live on Fox tonight, Ramsay plans to show the viewing audience with step-by-step instructions on how to prepare three (supposedly) easy dishes; Angel hair Pasta with Shrimp, Chili Peppers and Tomatoes (appetizer); Steak Diane with Sauteed Potatoes and peas (entree) and Tiramisu (dessert) from the comfort of their own kitchens.
Intimidated, who wouldn't be. To take the edge off and prove that ANYONE can cook, Ramsay has enlisted comedian Cedric the Entertainer, LeAnn Rimes and actress Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother) to partake in the live show - donning their aprons and making some culinary TV magic.
Walk, don't run (unless you feel so inclined) to your pantry and fridge to find the following items or make a mad dash to your local grocer for the following items:
SHOPPING LIST (Serves 4)
Too lazy to write it down, download the shopping list here.
· 1 red chili pepper
· 5 large garlic cloves, peeled
· 1 large tomato (heirloom, beefsteak or a few smaller roma tomatoes)
· 1 lemon
· Small handful of fresh basil leaves
· 3 scallions
· 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, cleaned (can also use button mushrooms instead)
· 3 shallots, peeled
· Small handful of flat-leaf parsley
· 3 small sprigs of rosemary
· 1 pound small waxy potatoes (Yukon Gold or any small potato, cut in half)
· 2 cups peas, defrosted if using frozen
· 1/2 pound medium-size raw, peeled shrimps
· 4 small sirloin steaks (approx. 7 ounces each)
· 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
· 1 cup mascarpone
· 2 1/2 tablespoons salted butter
· 7 ounces angel hair pasta
· 4 Italian Ladyfingers, or Savoiardi
· 1/4 cup powdered sugar
· 1 vanilla bean, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· Piece of chocolate (to grate as garnish)
· 4 tablespoons Marsala, or sweet dessert wine such as Vin Santo
· 1/4 cup brandy or cognac
· 1/4 cup white wine
· 1 cup cold strong coffee
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· Olive oil
· Extra virgin olive oil
· 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, to taste
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
According to the press release from Fox, they recommend you have a pot of boiling water ready for your pasta dish at the start of the show.
Not to be undone by the Britt, especially after claiming its so easy to do, I'll be following along preparing two of the three dishes... I hate tiramisu.
Gordon Ramsay: Cookalong Live airs tonight at 9:00 PM on Fox.