The Blotter August 15 2001

On Dogwood Drive, a 20-year-old man said he and two male friends were standing on the porch, looking at a yearbook.

A masked man came around the corner and pointed a gun at them. "Take everything out of your pockets," the masked man said.

The two friends tossed their belongings onto the ground. The 20-year-old said the masked man reached into his pants pocket and grabbed his keys, cell phone and money — but then returned the keys and cell phone.

"I need some more money before I leave," said the masked man. "I need some money for my babies. I need to get some diapers." The three men said they didn't have any more money.

"Y'all give me a hug," said the masked man. The masked man hugged the three men and then left, with a total of $27 cash.

Employees of a bar on Piedmont Road said the words "siren" and "yuck" were carved into the solid wood bar with a sharp instrument. Employees noticed the vandalism after four men left the bar.

Also, the word "yuck" was scratched onto the mirrors in the men's and women's bathrooms. "Yuck" also was carved extensively on the flower box on the deck.

The bar's videotape shows the four men sitting at the bar near where it was damaged. The bartender on duty said one of the four men showed him an Oregon identification card.

A woman entered a store on Oak Street and spoke with the manager, a 55-year-old woman. The first woman said she was collecting money for breast cancer. The woman said if the manager gave her $300, a local radio station would mention the Oak Street store every hour on the hour, and the manager would receive T-shirts and a banner.

The manager complied and gave the woman $300 cash. Later, she discovered she had been scammed, as the woman wasn't affiliated with the radio station.

At an apartment on Hollywood Road, a 50-year-old man said a female acquaintance known only as "B" came into his room and asked to borrow $3. She sat down on his bed, put her hand in his front pocket and tried to pull out some money. "Don't holler, don't holler," she said, putting her other hand over his mouth. She took $35 out of his pants pocket and left the house.

A 22-year-old woman reported that her ex-boyfriend called and said he needed a ride from Greenbriar Parkway. The woman drove to Greenbriar Parkway, but then told the ex-boyfriend to take a MARTA bus. The ex-boyfriend talked his way into her car. But during the ride, he hit her in the back of the head. He fled before police arrived.

An officer responded to a fight on Anderson Avenue, where a 33-year-old woman said a male family friend punched her in the throat and chest for no reason. She reiterated that she only knew the man as a family friend. However, the man said he and the woman had a 2-year-old child together. He added that the woman had been hitting on him all day. The woman was taken to the hospital; the man was charged with simple battery.

A 22-year-old woman met a man at a club. He invited her to breakfast at Waffle House on Highway 78. En route, he stopped the car and asked if he could perform oral sex on her. She said no. Then, he told her to get out of the car. She complied.

Then, the man exited the car and said he was sorry. But he took her cell phone and threw it in the woods, and hit her on the head. The woman ran to the nearest house and called police. No injuries were reported.

On Danner Street, a 49-year-old man with missing teeth called 911 and asked for an ambulance. A Grady Hospital ambulance team arrived, along with a police officer. They spotted the 49-year-old drinking from a small bottle of Glenmore Gin.

A medical technician said there was nothing wrong with the 49-year-old, who was intoxicated. The man has called 911 numerous times this year and requested an ambulance when he didn't need one.??

The Blotter
COVID Updates
Latest News
Current Issue