The Blotter August 29 2001

On Hollywood Road a 50-year-old woman and an 18-year-old woman were in the street, about to strike one another with sticks. Officers arrived and put the two women in separate patrol cars.

One officer spoke to a witness, the daughter of the 50-year-old woman. The daughter said her mother had sprayed the 18-year-old in the face with bleach after the 18-year-old lunged at her mother with a vacuum hose and a knife. The daughter added that she saw the 18-year-old throw a black-handled kitchen knife at her mother and the knife landed in her mother's back. The daughter explained that the 18-year-old was her cousin.

Both women admitted to their offenses. The fight began during an "argument over a TV remote" and the 50-year-old talking about the 18-year-old, according to the report.

The 18-year-old was taken to jail; the 50-year-old to the hospital for treatment of her stab wound.

At 3:30 a.m. in Buckhead, some bouncers at a club on Bolling Way flagged down an officer. The bouncers said there was a woman inside a white Cadillac in the club parking lot. The Cadillac didn't belong to her; in fact, it belonged to the club's owner. The officer went to the club parking lot and repeatedly asked the woman to get out of the car. She refused. The woman, a twentysomething from Birmingham, Ala., with long brown hair, had rolled up the windows and locked the doors of the Cadillac. She also was blowing the horn constantly.

Apparently, earlier, she had tried to leave the parking lot, but the car got caught on the curb.

The bouncers put a metal barricade in front of the Cadillac. Two officers parked their patrol cars behind the barricades. The woman got mad and put the car into drive. She rammed the barricade and one patrol car.

Then, an officer got out his baton and used it to break the driver's side window on the Cadillac. The woman was removed and arrested. The officer said she appeared to be on some kind of drug. The club owner, a 33-year-old man, came outside and said he didn't know the woman at all.

An officer responded to a call from a gas station on Whitehall Street. Upon arrival, the officer spoke with a 33-year-old man, who said he lived with his uncle two years ago, before his uncle got arrested. The 33-year-old said he stopped receiving his disability checks about two years ago, but he didn't know why.

Today, he said, he went to the Social Security office on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, and clerks there told him the disability checks were stopped because, according to departmental records, the 33-year-old was put in jail two years ago.

According to the officer's report, the 33-year-old said "his uncle took all of his identification two years ago when they separated and was arrested two years ago for murder in the city of Atlanta."

An officer was in his patrol car at a red light at Peachtree Street and Memorial Drive. While waiting for the light to turn green, the officer looked toward the car adjacent to him, a blue Ford Tempo.

A twentysomething man in the back seat of the Tempo opened the car door and placed a large bag from Kentucky Fried Chicken in the middle of the intersection. Then, the man noticed the officer's gaze.

The officer pulled over the Tempo. The passenger, who had dumped the KFC bag, received a ticket for littering. But the driver, a 26-year-old man, was arrested for driving on a suspended license and no proof of insurance.

A cashier at a fast-food restaurant on Metropolitan Parkway said a man dressed in blue entered the restaurant and asked for money. He had a McDonald's bag in one hand and the other hand tucked inside his coat. The cashier said she didn't have any money. The man walked over to the counter and said, "Do y'all have any money back there?"

The cashier originally thought the man might be returning his food, but when she realized that wasn't the case, she called police. He fled before police arrived.

At about 9:30 p.m., a 31-year-old woman was leaving a club on Broad Street. A man approached her and asked to buy a cigarette from her.

"No, take your money somewhere else," replied the woman. The man slapped her in the face, and she fell to the ground, injuring her shoulder. Police arrived and arrested the man for simple battery.

A 23-year-old woman was entering a store on Peachtree Street when she bumped into two women. "Excuse me," she said, continuing on inside the store. Later, when she left the store, the two women were waiting. They jumped the 23-year-old and kicked and hit her face. Police arrested the two women for fighting.

A 34-year-old man was walking on Broad Street when two men started walking alongside him. "What's up, man?" said one of the men.

"Nothing," replied the 34-year-old.

"Give me your wallet," said the man.

"Take the money, but I really need my wallet," said the 34-year-old.

The suspect asked the 34-year-old how bad he wanted his wallet, and did he have any more money. The 34-year-old said he did in fact have more money in the bank, and the two suspects should follow him to an ATM. The suspects followed the 34-year-old to SunTrust Bank on Park Place. The 34-year-old convinced them to stand outside and wait for him. The 34-year-old entered the bank and immediately asked a security guard to call 911. The two suspects fled, but police quickly located them near Broad Street. While patting down one suspect, an officer found the 34-year-old's wallet — with all the contents intact — on the ground nearby.??

The Blotter
COVID Updates
Latest News
Current Issue