Lust List 2020 - Davey Swinton
More like Davey Swoontown. Chiseled from cheekbone to ankle, Davey’s a professional aerialist who makes rope graceful while swinging from new heights all over the globe. Bring a passport, because this well-endowed, single, polyamorous Drag King likes to travel and knows their way to Pleasuretown.
2. Astrological sign?
4. Instagram handle?
6. Sexual orientation ?
7. What do you sleep in?
8. What three things would you take to a desert island?
9. Where would you take a first date?
10. One thing you’ve always wanted to do, but prob won’t?
11. What tattoo would you put on someone else? And who?
12. What’s the secret TV show you watch but don’t tell anyone about?
13. Beauty tip?
14. Do you pee with the door open?
15. Celeb crush?
16. Shower or bath? Morning or before going to bed?
17. How long does it take you to get ready for a night out?
18. Deodorant or BO?
19. Fav thing about yourself?
20. The biggest misconception about you?
21. Do you French your dog?
22. In one word, what do you want people to know about you?
23. Astrology or religion?
24. Your favorite form of communication?
25. Sex, booze, drugs: Name in order of importance.
4. @Daveyswintondrag (DaveySwinton.com)
5. Circus and drag performer, trainer for aerial, yoga, performers, I also do Thai massage. Producer. I lead circus retreats and LGBTQIA retreats @dancesinair. Apparel and product designer.
6. Queer and single. Solo poly mostly, but every now and then I’ll have a main squeeze in the constellation. Pronouns they/them (unless I’m playing a character that might have their own pronouns, but this being is a they).
7. I sleep a sound 9-10 hours a night based on a life of integrity. Also, a firm mattress, sometimes heated, heavy comforters, surrounded by mirrors. I don’t wear clothes to bed, but I might wear ropes or leather or heels.
8. Sunblock, sex toys, and a large scarf. Really, I’ve done this trip every year. Maybe exchange sunblock for a video camera.
9. At night, I like public spaces that have comfortable lighting, comfy sofas, and great music that isn’t too loud. There’s really only one or two places like this in Atlanta. I prefer parks/ hikes, massage trades, queer yoga classes, or ecstatic dance. Dating is a time where I get to focus on one person. It’s about connecting. These are the things I like to do and the best ways I connect, so if someone doesn’t like those things, we probably shouldn’t date.
13. Sleep more. Really sleep and eat well. You’re already beautiful, so just take care of yourself, and that’s enough.
16. I shower before bed. I have an outdoor bathtub so sometimes I have time for salt baths, especially when I’m training hard. I tend to take 2-3 three-minute showers on a day when it’s hot. I spend most of my year in summer weather. But showering before bed allows me to fan kick out of bed in the morning right into my clothes I laid out.
17. I always gave myself a limit because when I was younger boys made fun of girls getting ready. So I keep everything including shower within an hour unless I’m in full drag, (then) I give myself up to an hour and a half. I also train my makeup skills down in time. There’s no reason to spend so long on each performance when you do it for a living.
19. I know myself really well at this point, and I have a ton of life experience. I’m stronger than I look, but I’m tired of having to be as strong as I have been. I’m currently trying to reclaim parts of my life and move into a new era of my life that has some freedoms, so I am heavily in transition and will be refashioning myself and habits for this next part of my life.
20. I think people look at me and make all kinds of incorrect assumptions. Let’s start with many of them assuming I’m in my 20s or 30s, and cisgendered, and well off, no dependents. None of those are true. As an AFAB, I’m used to people completely discounting everything I have ever said. As an introvert, I’m used to being run over like this, and I’m also (used to) being heavily bullied because I am a public persona. It’s a shame that people target those of us that want to live an authentic life. It makes me want to hide, for sure. But then when I perform something that is really my truth, so many people find connection and come to me tell me how much they needed that story. I have searched since I was a child for stories like mine, and rarely find any, but I believe we all carry extraordinary stories that if we could share them, would allow us all a better humanity, and healing. I believe that the energy of being defensive is something I don’t want to partake in, so essentially I allow people to make these judgments and they can see that by my life and my work that none of those things stand true. It takes time, but I’ve lived in Atlanta for 34 years and most of the people I know have known me 10+ years.
24. I need lots of communication. People get annoyed with me because I need that verbal cycle to be 100 percent. I need to be invited to feel welcome, it’s gotta be emphatic and loud for me to step forward. I prefer written contracts with a meeting, all of it. Anything we both need to be sure. I love nonverbal communication, but it’s just a piece of it. Body language plus really strong, 3x verbal communication cycles is where it’s at — followed with a written agreement. Otherwise, let’s meet on stage or the dance floor and play a bit, we aren’t doing anything serious. Obviously in my shows I use music, spoken word, movement, and circus arts to tell my stories/send messages. It’s very powerful to experience what it means to see fully and be seen fully in the same moment.